Thursday, July 19, 2007

Review for FUN!: The Dark River by John Twelve Hawks

This is the second book in a series. I know I reviewed the first one, "The Traveler" at some point, but it was before I had a book blog and I just can't find it. Let me just say, though, that the WORST thing about reading this series is that you'll have to wait for the third book! I was walking through my library the other day, saw that the second in the series was out and available and I almost yelped! in the library. What I DID do was snatch it up in a hurry.

I don't know quite what genre to call this series. I suppose it would be categorized as science fiction, which I don't particularly like and isn't my regular genre. It has a political message too -- if you think it's just hunky dory that we're listening in on other people's phone calls and holding people without cause, you might get a little annoyed by this book. Basically, it's a futuristic type book where "Big Brother" has gotten out of control and everything we do, buy, say...etc. is recorded and controlled.

The people who do this controlling are called The Brethren. The people who primarily resist this force and come up with new ideas and shake up the system are called The Travelers. They can travel to other realms (our world is the Fourth Realm, hell is the First Realm, etc.) and thus see things from a larger perspective. There are also warriors called Harlequins whose only job is protecting Travelers from the Brethren. I know, it sounds complicated. But, gosh, don't you wonder what would happen if a Harlequin fell in love with her Traveler?? You'll have to read it to find out!!!!

This is just, quite simply, a fun quick read. You won't be able to set either book down. As I said, the only thing that I don't like is that I'm hanging off a cliff for probably, oh, a year while I wait for the third and final installment.

7 comments:

kookie said...

I didn't even know this was out yet. I'm going to have to go back and read 'Traveler' again because I can't remember much about it other than I really liked it and wanted to read the rest of the series. Thanks for letting me know.

jay are said...

Okay then, we talked about these books. They sound completely unlike anything I'd like to read, but I'm gonna take your word for it. I'm off to find the first one soon (after I finish Hunting and Gathering, which I am thoroughly thoroughly enjoying).

And this isn't about books but music: you MUST get the album "The Story" by Brandi Carlile. Or I'll make you a copy. Or something. I've listened to it nonstop since I bought it a week or so ago. Great album.

Lisa said...

kookiejar: a good one for the 2nds Challenge, if you're doing that one! I wanted to pick it for that, but I couldn't wait!!

JR: okay, okay, I'll look for it. Noticed Bryan loved it too!

Bookfool said...

Oh, wow, sounds like my kind of series. I've just added it to my wish list, thanks.

Anonymous said...

Wow - sounds like a really exciting series if it made you yelp in the library! Might have to hunt it out...

alethe16 said...

I'm very tempted to go out and get Traveler, since finding its sequel made you almost yelp in a library! :-) It must be awfully good. It's on my list of books to be read sometime in the future.

Thanks for getting the word out!

Amanda McPherson said...

Hello! My name is Amanda, and I work for Regal Literary (John Twelve Hawks's agent). I am writing to inform you of a special offer we are running for bloggers who review THE GOLDEN CITY. We will send you a review copy of The Golden City, and if you send us a link to your review, we will enter you into a lottery for one of five autographed copies of this book, as well as the exclusive opportunity to do a phone interview with John Twelve Hawks himself.

If you are interested, please send an e-mail to goldencity@regal-literary.com to learn more about this offer.

-Amanda
goldencity@regal-literary.com