Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Books of 2007

Ok, I don't have time for a fancy list with links to all my reviews. I'm just going to post my completed reading list for 2007 here so I can start a 2008 reading list on my sidebar. In 2007, I read 66 books - 15 non-fiction, 51 fiction. As usual, before the list, here's my dubious awards:

Best Book of the Year, hands down: The Book Thief
Worst Book of the Year, hands down: The Inheritance of Loss
Best Young Adult Book: The Giver
Best Non-Fiction Book: Yoga and the Quest for the True Self
Book that made me laugh so hard milk came out my nose: Eat, Pray, Love
Book I loved that other people hated: Special Topics in Calamity Physics
Book I hated that other people loved: The Echo Maker/The Eyre Affair
Book I just can't stop thinking about: The Doomsday Book

And without further ado, here's the list:

This Year I Will...by M. J. Ryan
Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts
Changing for Good by John Norcross
An Unfinished Season by Ward Just
Change your Brain, Change your Life by Daniel Amen
The Inheritance of Loss by Kiran Desai
Empire of the Sun by J. D. Ballard
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
Deception by Denise Mina
The End of the Affair by Graham Greene
Plot Against America by Philip Roth
The Doomsday Book by Connie Willis
The Power Tactics of Jesus Christ by Jay Haley
Half of a Yellow Sun
Lost in the Forest by Sue Miller
The Brief History of the Dead by Keven Brockmeier
Beasts of No Nation by Uzodinma Iweala
What is the What by Dave Eggers
Turn Stress Into Bliss by Micheal Lee
Giraffe by J. M. Ledgard
A Hole in the Universe by Mary McGarry Morris
Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marisha Pessl
The Trumpet of the Swan by E.B. White
Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant by Anne Tyler
The Secret by Rhonda Byrne
A Certain Chemistry by Mil Millington
Falling in Love is Not Enough by Joseph Dragun
The State Boys Rebellion by Michael D'Antonion
Waxwings by Jonathan Raban
Yoga and the Quest for the True Self by Stephen Cope
The History of Love by Nicole Krauss
The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera
A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini
And Baby Makes Three by John Gottman
The Echo Maker by Richard Powers
TRACON by Paul McElroy
Shalimar the Clown by Salman Rushdie
Forgetfulness by Ward Just
The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards
The Dark River by John Twelve Hawks
Lean Mean Thirteen by Janet Evanovich
Coraline by Neil Gaiman
Number the Stars by Lois Lowry
The Indian in the Cupboard
The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield
The pH Miracle by Robert Young
The Giver by Lois Lowry
How to Improve your Marriage without Talking about it by Patricia Love
Operating Instructions by Anne Lamott
New England White by Stephen Carter
The Divide by Nicholas Sparks
The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde
I Am the Messenger by Marcus Zusak
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
Fall on Your Knees
Prayer for the Dying by Stewart O'Nan
The Bridge of Sighs by Richard Russo
Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
Twilight by Stephanie Meyer
New Moon by Stephanie Meyer
Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
A Little Love Story by Ronald Merullo
Blood Memory by Greg Iles
72 Hour Hold by Bebe Moore Campbell
How to be a Wealthy Therapist by Casey Truffo
True Evil by Greg Iles.

8 comments:

Lisa said...

Wow! Our lists are shockingly similar! I read 65- 56 of them fiction. My favorite was A Thousand Splendid Suns but The Book Thief was a close second. I also hated The Inheritance of Loss. I mentioned The Giver as a favorite as well. I need to reread your books read list to compare further.

jay are said...

Yay for reading!!! Maybe this year I'll keep track of my reading just for fun. Would be interesting. I'm reading Twilight right now, along with two others. I'll keep track as well. Love to read your lists---thanks for the great suggestions.

1morechapter said...

Great wrap up! Book Thief was in a three way tie for first place for me with To Kill a Mockingbird and Snowflower and the Secret Fan. My best YA was The Giver as well! I also didn't care at all for Inheritance of Loss, but my worst was Everyman by Roth.

Hope you have a great year!

3M
http://1morechapter.com

alisonwonderland said...

i'm definitely going to read The Book Thief and Eat, Pray, Love in 2008; i keep hearing such good things about them. i know what you mean about The Doomsday Book; i read it maybe four years ago, and i still think about it frequently.

Literary Feline said...

I loved your categories. :-) I definitely hope to get to both The Book Thief and Eat, Pray, Love this year. I hope you have a great reading year in 2008!

Bybee said...

I have Special Topics...on my TBR. So far, you're the only blogger I've read that likes it.

Lauren said...

I have heard so many good things about The Book Thief. I think it's time for me to actively find that book and read it!!

Victoria said...

I love Special Topics!!! I honestly don't even know anyone else who has read it and I work at a bookstore. Awesome.