Friday, September 12, 2008

Review: What the Dead Know by Laura Lippman

I've never read anything else by Laura Lippman, and I've had this one on my list for quite some time. So long, in fact, that I had no idea what it was about when I picked it up. Turns out to be a great and fascinating mystery that I could not put down. I'll definitely look up her other books.

So I would say this falls somewhere between "high" literary fiction and mainstream mysteries. It is well written and thought out, but with a definite suspenseful quality. Two girls disappear after going to the mall in 1975, and in the present day, a woman claims to be one of them after getting in a car accident. This all happens in the first chapter and the rest of the book is the unraveling of what really happened.

It's not going to change your world forever, and might not be your favorite of the year....but it's a great, quick read with a lot of depth and I'd highly recommend it!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

I reviewed this book a few months ago and I also enjoyed it very much, although I had some serious issues with a few plot issues. Did you notice the way the she uses the word "police" - as in "I'm a murder police"? I found that really, really distracting.

Lisa said...

I read your review...I agree with all you said about this book...

Isn't it weird, though? I didn't even NOTICE the police thing! That's usually something I would notice....hmmm....did you ever get a reply from the author??