Sunday, March 9, 2008

Book Review: Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn

Blurb on the back of the book, written by Stephen King: "To say this is a terrific debut novel is really too mild. I haven't read such a relentlessly creepy family saga since John Farris's All Heads Turn as the Hunt Goes By, and that was thirty years ago, give or take. Sharp Objects isn't one of those scare-and-retreat books; its effect is cumulative. I found myself dreading the last thirty pages or so but was helpless to stop turning them. Then, after the lights were out, the story just stayed there in my head, coiled and hissing, like a snake in a cave. An admirably nasty piece of work, elevated by sharp writing and sharper insights."

Impressive. For a first novel, it's quite incredible. I think Stephen King might be overstating it just a wee bit, but then again, I can't wait until she comes out with her next book. Yes, it's pretty creepy, but not in a unrealistic kind of way. It's psychologically creepy. And, being a mental health worker, I found it totally, completely fascinating. And I don't think you'd have to be in the field to think so.

I kind of feel the same way about Gillian Flynn as I do about Stephen King. How can a normal person come up with this creepy stuff?? She says in her acknowledgements that no one in her family is remotely like this family. mmm-hmm. She's got quite the imagination then.

The Oakland newspaper groups are doing a monthly book club. This is their pick this month and I'm hoping to be able to attend the discussion at my local book store. I crave a real life book club and just haven't been able to make it happen, so maybe this will be a good substitute. It's great. If you have the courage, read it.

9 comments:

Literary Feline said...

I do hope you'll be able to go to the discussion at the bookstore. That sounds like it would be fun. :-)

I really want to read this one. I've heard such great things about it, and now your fantastic review . . . This is a sign, I think.

LK said...

I've had this one on my radar. I'm glad you wrote this post.

Unknown said...

This book took off slowly for me but as I read more I was sorry to see the story end. It has a really good ending. Some parts may seem implausible if not impossible but I really enjoyed it. If the main character showed up in a later book by this author it wouldn't surprise me. I can't give the book 5 stars because it just doesn't have the quality of authorship or a tremendously great storyline but for a general fiction book it has a pretty neat tale and keeps your attention. I recommend reading this book.

jay are said...

I got this from the library and I'm reading it right now. I didn't read your whole post about it because I was afraid it might give even something minor away. I'm really hoping it's not too freaky... sometimes I don't quite have the guts for some of these psychological thrillers, even though I love the genre.

jay are said...

just finished it! Whoa...whoa. Great debut novel. And I'm bummed that she's still writing her second one. Or is she finished?? Maybe I'll go check that out. Thanks for another great suggestion!

Lisa said...

dood. Is that a great book or WHAT?? :)

jay are said...

very good; very original...amazes me that some people's first novels are SO GOOD. It was hard to put down, and I'm anxious for her to have more books for me to read!!

J Scott Savage said...

Hadn't heard of this one 'till now. But I just went on-line and ordered it. How could I pass on that?

xMoonlightkiss13 said...

I have been reading this for barely a week for my A.P. Literature class in high school and at first I found myself wanting to wash my hands as I read it, but I find that I can't stop reading. I was supposed to read halfway for this friday but I'm almost 3/4 of the way through already and I can't stop. Although this book is dark and has a sense of darkness lurking around every corner, it has a great addiction to it.